Did you know that..?
- 26 per cent of children report having a public social networking profile.
- Children of all ages are lacking digital skills -confidence is often not matched by skill!
- 12 per cent of European 9-16 year olds say they have been bothered or upset by something on the internet... however, 56 per cent of parents whose child has received nasty or hurtful messages online are not aware of this.
- One in eight parents don't seem to mediate their children's online activities... while 56 per cent of parents take positive steps such as suggesting to their children how to behave towards others online.
- 44 per cent of children think that parental mediation limits what they do online, 11 per cent say it limits their activities a lot.
Safer Internet Day is organised by Insafe each year in February to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially amongst children and young people across the world.
This year the focus is on connecting generations, as Insafe invite people of all ages from very young children to parents and grandparents to “discover the digital world together… safely”.
So why not click here and watch the interactive eSafety video together? http://www.childnet.com/kia/parents/CD/default.aspx?id=Pres1 – also in languages other than English.
Year 7 Internet Safety
If your son is in Year 7, we have recently been covering all aspects of eSafety http://year7ict.nottinghamhighblogs.net/2011/11/28/internet-safety/. We also use the CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) Centre (a joint Government and police agency) materials. Please see http://www.thinkyouknow.co.uk/parents/.