Food and Nutrition
Our new Food and Nutrition Department is being introduced to Nottingham High School from September 2016, available for boys and girls studying at GCSE Level.
Our students, with the aid of top class facilities and teaching staff, will learn how to use nutritional principles to cook a repertoire of dishes, use a range of cooking techniques with awareness of taste, texture and smell to decide how to season dishes and combine ingredients, understand the source, seasonality and characteristics of many ingredients, prepare healthy food with good food hygiene and safety practices, adapt and use your own recipes for different needs, and finally cook a range of high quality dishes with a good level of finish and presentation.
The subject will link to the core Food Preparation and Nutrition GCSE topics:
- Food preparation skills; general practical skills, knife skills, preparing fruit and vegetables, use of the cooker, use of equipment, cooking methods, prepare, combine and shape, sauce making, tenderise and marinate, dough, raising agents, setting mixtures.
- Food, nutrition and health; macronutrients and micronutrients, nutritional needs and health.
- Food science; cooking of food and heat transfer, functional and chemical properties of food.
- Food safety; food spoilage and contamination, principles of food safety.
- Food choice; factors affecting food choice, British and international cuisines, sensory evaluation, food labelling and marketing.
- Food provenance: environmental impact and sustainability of food, food processing and production.
- Food preparation and cooking techniques.
This course will help students to develop both practical skills and theoretical understanding necessary to prepare good food.
Students will take a written exam testing their theoretical knowledge of food preparation and nutrition including both multiple choice and written answers.
In addition, they will have two non-exam assessments (NEA): 'Food investigation' and 'Food preparation assessment'. This will test their understanding of the characteristics, functional and chemical properties of ingredients including practical investigations as well as being assessed for the planning, preparation, cooking and presentation of food and application of nutrition related to the chosen task.